Volunteer & Visitor Access
Volunteers & Contingent Workers
Volunteers and contingent workers in your department are subject to the UCR Volunteer Policy 650-85. This Policy states:
- A volunteer assignment must be established prior to the commencement of work.
- Unpaid Student Intern: All unpaid student intern volunteers who are performing service solely for their personal educational goals unrelated to the pursuit of their academic degree should be appointed as a Staff Intern, Code CWR 004.
- Unpaid Volunteers: All other unpaid volunteers should be appointed as a Contingent Worker.
- All contingent workers, including temporary agency workers, must be entered in UCPath.
If a volunteer or contingent worker is required to complete training, they must have a UCR NetID and be entered into UCR systems so their information can be tracked and maintained in UCR records.
New Hires: If a volunteer or contingent worker (CWR) is added to UCPath (without a SSN), and they are not a UCR student or a previous/concurrent employee, then their department should request an Affiliate NetID and have the Employee ID manually associated to the entry in Enterprise Directory. This may require a ServiceLink ticket to ITS if the department or shared services center cannot edit Enterprise Directory. Once established in both UCPath and Enterprise Directory (EDIR), the CWR should be able to log into the LMS within 24-48 hours.
NOTE: If the person is a former/returning Affiliate (never employed), find out if their original UCR NetID can be reactivated in Enterprise Directory.
- If their original UCR NetID can be reactivated and associated to their Employee ID, they should be able to log in directly within 24-48 hours of being active in both EDIR and UCPath.
- If they must be issued a new UCR NetID, please ensure their Employee ID is entered into Enterprise Directory under their new UCR NetID, they should be able to log in directly within 24-48 hours of being active in both EDIR and UCPath.
- In either case, if they log in and are missing training records, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous or Concurrent Employees: If the volunteer or contingent worker was ever active in UCPath with a SSN — e.g.: (a) is also active in the payroll system under a typical job instance or (b) previously held a paid appointment in UCPath — they should regain access to the UC Learning Center once they have been active in UCPath past their start date for at least two business days.
UCR Students: For students who are active in UCPath as CWRs, and are not a current or previous employee, please submit a request via ServiceLink to the Identity and Access Management team in ITS to ask for a manual update to LDAP to facilitate access to the LMS (Category: Identity Management, Subcategory: LDAP). You will need to provide both the employee ID and student ID of the CWR. Once active in UCPath for two business days, the student should be able to log in as soon as ITS updates LDAP. See the UCR Student Access on the Access and Roles page for additional information.
Temporary NetID System (TNS)
The Temporary NetID System (TNS) allows departments to create a temporary NetID for users to access the UC Learning Center (this includes wireless internet access, meaning an additional guest wireless account is not also needed). Temporary NetIDs can be configured to allow access from seven days up to 90 days. After initially configuring NetIDs, departments may extend access not to exceed 90 days. If an individual will be on campus more than 90 days they should be set up in payroll or with an Affiliate NetID. Access to the TNS is granted through the EACS.
When should the Temporary NetID System be used?
It is appropriate to use the TNS for the following situations and individuals:
- A volunteer working less than 90 days who is not also a UCR Student. (Please note: if this individual will be here more than 90 days an Affiliate NetID should be requested.)
- Someone paid though ePay who is not a UCR Student (Please note: if this individual will be here more than 90 days an Affiliate NetID should be requested.)
- An employee who is awaiting a Social Security Number (is not a student) and needs immediate access to the UC Learning Center.
- An individual awaiting an Affiliate NetID who needs immediate access to the UC Learning Center.
- Someone who needs access to training prior to being established in payroll or obtaining other permanent access. These would be cases where individuals are only on campus for a very short time and need to be able to start work immediately upon arrival. (Please note: You will be required to indicate when a permanent employee or affiliate NetID has been obtained)
When a temporary NetID expires, the transactor/requester will be prompted to indicate whether or not a more permanent form of access has been established for the individual, as in an Affiliate NetID, a SSN in payroll, etc. Should the individual receive permanent access sooner than expected, long prior to their temporary NetID expiring, please contact email@example.com to ensure continued access to training records.
If a visitor strictly needs access to wireless and does NOT also need access to the UC Learning Center, please us the guest wireless account process instead.
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org